Friday 5 May 2017

Living in a teensy space


The size of our boat living space is about the size of our kitchen at Kalk Bay and with way more intricate throughways, doorways and steps.  The first four days I banged my knees so many times on various bits of boat layout that I became super sensitive to protecting my knees and developed the slow motion walk so I could think about where my knee was going before I took the actual step.

Kitchen

Living onboard in a marina has distinct advantages such as the marina's gushing hot water showers and toilets. Once we sail out the marina, our showers will be portable camp style showers either cold or with water heated in a plastic bag left on deck.  There is a shower in the toilet area but one doesn't really want to add water to the inside of a boat and we will do so if we are in view of other boats, otherwise it's au naturel on the deck. Oh heck, we will do it on the deck anyway.

Moored at Rivergate Marina 


The toilet on the boat sits throne-like in the bow.  One could sit on it and view the whole interior length of the boat to the horizon out the back window. There is a strategically placed curtain to draw for privacy and a large hatch which opens above one's head which will come in useful as there is no standing room in the hobbit toilet area.  So one wipes with recommended one-ply in a crouching position or sticks one's head out to survey the passing scenery in situ. When one's business is done, one pushes a switch and the bowl empties into a macerator, which macerates everything and discharges it out.  Whoever developed the Nutribullet must have lived aboard a boat with a macerator as the method and end result is identical. I will miss the marina's showers and two-ply.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sandy here: Wowsers, everything looks so exciting and I'm so pleased you used Currency Partners and you can look forward to a fantastic sailing experience instead of a disaster!! Your blog's such a nice way of keeping in touch and actually seeing the pics!! Have a fantastic time and Marcelle please remember to write everything in your diary!!

Unknown said...

lol.... whenever i see a nutribullet my thoughts will never be the same. Please keep your blog going as i read it most days... good luck with the sailing..dot

Marcelle said...

Your diary is becoming our log book of sorts. Thank you!

Marcelle said...

Nutribullet has lost some of its appeal for me too

Unknown said...

Gosh - I'm glad Father Christmas forgot to give me a nutribullet ... 😝